Monday 29 October 2012

Injury Woes

Well I had some very good news last week that seems to have been completly quashed by my run early this morning.

I may have mentioned that I completed the Munich marathon the other week, however this run left we with something less exciting then a medal. Around the 22 mile mark I felt some pain in the right side of my knee and had to walk to try and give it a rest. I managed to finish the run be it very slowly and with a slight limp. After the race I didn't think anything of it and was only really feeling the usual sore thigh aftereffects. Unfortunately when I got Back to the UK and went for my first post marathon run I felt the soreness in my knee again. After extensive and thorough research a Google search it seemed I was suffering from a bit of inflammation and a bit of ice and rest should do the trick. Well a week on with no running I went out yesterday and successfully completed my 4.5 mile short run with no problems. However this morning I got ten minutes down the road and the pain came back. Que much swearing and kicking leaves as the realisation dawned this might be something a little more serious.

Luckily I have 6 months to prepare for the London marathon and my current fitness it good so a few weeks out shouldn't affect me but the worry is there that when I visit the doctor this week that he may inform me it's more serious then just 'rest up for a few weeks'. The problem with injuries as a runner is that our whole lives are dedicated to the process of going out and running a few miles and then beginning our day. Its a form of drug and stress reliever and without that release I don't know what I can do. Maybe I should have rested up more but I felt fine walking around so why couldn't I put the shoes on and hit the streets, surely it would be fine. But no. Now I will have to mope around at home waiting for the knee to heal whilst my fitness slowly goes backwards after all that hard work over the last few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment